FAQ on Ragwort

Answers to commonly asked Ragwort questions

Ragwort Questions and answers

Below are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding Ragwort.

Q1: What does Ragwort look like?

Q2: How do I get rid of Ragwort?

Q3: Is Ragwort poisonous to horses?

Q4: Is Ragwort poisonous to humans?

Q5: What does the law say about Ragwort disposal?

Ask your own Ragwort question now

Q1: What does ragwort look like?

Ragwort stands out due to its bright yellow colour and unpleasant smell. The stem of a Ragwort plant varies from 0.2 to 2 metres in height while the bright yellow flower heads range from 1.5 to 2.5 centimetres. For more detailed visit our Ragwort identification page.

Q2: How do I get rid of ragwort?

The most effective way to remove Ragwort is through chemical treatment. However, for smaller infestations of Ragwort, hand pulling, or digging can be appropriate.

Q3: Is ragwort poisonous to horses?

Yes. Ragwort contains a toxic compound called alkaloids, which can cause fatal liver damage to horses if consumed. The damage is dependent upon the amount consumed.

Q4: Is Ragwort poisonous to humans?

Although Ragwort is poisonous to humans there is little risk due to it being distasteful and not used as food. People have complained about irritated skin after handled Ragwort, therefore, we would always recommend avoiding skin contact with this plant.

Q5: What does the law say about Ragwort disposal?

There are five options to dispose of Ragwort: Rotting Down Composting, Incineration, Controlled Burning or Landfill.
For more help, advice and legislation about the disposing of Ragwort visit GOV.UK https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prevent-the-spread-of-harmful-invasive-and-non-native-plants

Arrange a Ragwort survey today

Back to top

Can't find your answer?

Ask your own Ragwort question using the form below and a Wise expert will send you an emailed response.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.